I suggest you...

generate topology from CDP/LLDP and organize the devices automatically

generate topology from CDP/LLDP and organize the devices automatically in airwave

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MubeeshMubeesh shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan HollandRyan Holland commented  · 

By the way, Jason. The CDP method of determining upstream neighbor isn't full proof. We have several routers that show a distribution switch as its upstream neighbor. An alternative to using CDP for this would be to leverage spanning-tree information in regards to the root bridge.

• Ryan HollandRyan Holland commented  · 

My feature request was to have a diagram illustrating the upstream neighbor relationships, and in essence build a topology diagram. This would visually allow us to see the aggregate impact on the network when a piece of equipment goes down. You could even go so far as to then display "2 downstream switches, 37 access points affected" to make it even clearer for help desks.

• MubeeshMubeesh commented  · 

A clcikable topology diagram generated would be also great which we can pass on to our NOC or tier1 folks

• MubeeshMubeesh commented  · 

yes folder group assignments ....like if the devices are discovered under same upstream switch put them into same folder/group....If a new device/AP is discovered and if a device exists with same upstream switch in a folder/group map it automatically to the group.etc.

• Jason LutherAdminJason Luther (Admin, AirWave) commented  · 

We do determine the upstream device for APs and switches based on CDP and the switch's bridge forwarding table. That info is used to provide additional information when a device is down (see the Root Cause Device column in the AP list).

How would you like to see the devices organized in AMP based on the topology? Do you mean folder/group assignments?

Feedback and Knowledge Base